Wednesday 15 January 2014

Breezy's Top 15 of 2013!! The Top 3!

Hey, two weeks into January and I'm just finishing up my list.  Better late than never!  Here we go, my Top 3 for 2013.

3. Satan - Life Sentence 


Finally the band that brought us 1983's legendary album Court In The Act, have finally returned with it's true follow up albeit 30 years later.  Funny thing is, not much has changed other than the band members have gotten older, and they have possibly recorded an album that is better than their incredible debut. Razor sharp guitars blast over top of Brian Ross' vocals, Satan show they have truly caught lightning in a bottle.  Opening duo of Time To Die and Twenty Twenty Five blow anything away off the debut, with their duel guitars in full force and melody everywhere. The thrashy, Maiden-esque Testimony, also shows that there might be more life left with this band.  A great return to form.  If you love NWOBHM, go get this now.



2. James LaBrie - Impermanent Resonance

I'm a huge fan of James' main band, Dream Theater, but his solo stuff just keeps getting better than ever.  I played this one far more than his main gigs new album, and it's a beauty.  Again, he has assembled an amazing group of musicians, including drummer Peter Wildoer and keyboardist Matt Guillory, and has made an album full of hard rock, melodic death and pop. Every tune is a winner from the hard rocking, Agony, to the poppish I Got You to the ballad, Say You're Still Mine.  I've always been a fan of James' vocals, but the songwriting on this proves he could be doing more in Dream Theater.  A great record that will continue to get plays and praise from me.



1. Audrey Horne - Youngblood

 I've been a fan of Audrey Horne for a few years, but I didn't see this coming at all.  They've dropped the alt-rock leanings and come up with an absolute barnstormer of a hard rock record.  Every song from top to bottom has killer choruses, beautiful vocals, and twin guitar melodies.  The album carries a bit of a classic 70's rock vibe, hints of KISS and Lizzy, but not really sounding like anyone.  The title track is a standout, and The Open Sea is a stunner. I'm hoping the band has finally hit their stide and discovered that playing to their influences has produced the best music of their career.  I'm looking forward to your next album guys, and how about a Canadian tour?  Two vids for you to enjoy below.  Amazing.





I also want to mention a quick note about two more records from 2013 that I didn't really get until the end of the year, but should be on this list as well...Motorhead's Aftershock, and David Bowie's return in The Next Day.  I'll be posting again soon, and hopefully a bit more often than I did in 2013.  More classics from my past, fave albums,  Top 5 and 10 lists, etc.  Thanks for reading my Blog, and enjoying the rambling.  MUYA!

No comments:

Post a Comment