Saturday 18 February 2012

My Fave Albums Of All Time #16 Classic AOR

I"ve been known to go on tangents with my music, listening to bands entire discographys, jumping from genre to genre...One day it's Malmsteen, and the next it's Styx.  That just how it goes.  As long as it's rocking, I'm usually on board.  Lately, I've been spinning alot of classic AOR (Album Oriented Rock).  The term was really just used for radio stations back in the day, but now it represents an entire genre of music.  It can be everyone from Air Supply and Michael Bolton to Journey and later 80's hard rock bands. Soaring vocals, and lots of keys.  So having said that, I stick to the stuff that is more guitar and hard rock based, rather than the really sappy style.  I thought it would be fun to compile a quick list of my Top 5 AOR albums.  I'm gonna do two lists, the first will be releases you are mostly familiar with, and the second list will be some of the hidden gems of the genre.  Enjoy!

1. Journey - Escape (1981)

Really for me, this is the Granddaddy of them all.  The peak of Journey's popularity, and one of the greatest rock albums of all time. Journey had some good records before this one, but Escape is a bonafide classic.  Steve Perry, Neil Schon and new recruit Jonathan Cain (The Baby's), along with Steve Smith and Ross Valory took their classic sound to a whole new level with brilliant performances and production.  Don't Stop Believin', Who's Crying Now and Open Arms were the hits, but the secret to this album is the deeper tracks like Stone In Love, Mother, Father and the title track.  I loved this record as a kid, and do to this day.  A true rock classic, and an album I would think any rock fan should have in their collection. 9 million people can't be wrong.  Bask in it's awesomeness!


2. Foreigner - 4 (1981)

1981 was a great year for music, metal was exploding everywhere, and rock acts were releasing the best music of their careers.  Like Journey, Foreigner has some great records leading up to this, but this one blew the doors open.  Produced by the legendary Mutt Lange, Foreigner took their classic rock roots to a new level and landed them a #1 record.  No easy feat in 1981.  Trimmed down to a four piece, Foreigner continued on with a rockier sound with tunes like lead off track Night Life, I'm Gonna Win and the classic Juke Box Hero.  Lou Gramm proves once again he is one of the greatest American rock vocalists ever.  This record also contains the brilliant Urgent, as well as uber ballad Waiting for a Girl Like You. A record that sat along nicely with all my more metal releases.  A classic record.

3. Asia - Asia (1982)

Please, no 40 Year Old Virgin jokes...Supergroup Asia's debut landed on an unsuspecting rock audience in 1982.  Featuring members of classic prog bands Yes, King Crimson and ELP, Asia is a perfect blend of prog, rock and pop. It went to #1, and sold like pancakes.  Sure the hit Heat Of The Moment is the touchstone here, but 2nd single, Only Time Will Tell, and deep rockers like Wildest Dreams and Sole Survivor are what really grabbed me.  I vividly remember listening to my friends copy (Hi Pat!) in Junior High. A great record that contains killer performances with a pop rock attitude with prog rock sensibilities. Still sound good to these ears today.  Follow up Alpha, although a little lighter is another solid record from Asia.  Glad to hear that the original members are still working together.

4. Survivor - Vital Signs (1984)

Survivor is one of those bands that are known for "That Song".  Get over it people. While Eye Of The Tiger is a great song on a better album, Survivor have a wealth of great rock music in their catalog.  Vital Signs was the 2nd follow up to the above mentioned, and is a fantastic example of great AOR.  Brilliant vocals from new recruit Jimi Jamison, and a great blend of ballads and rockers, with some of the best choruses I have heard. Lots of fond High School memories with the hits I Can't Hold You Back, High On You, and one of the best ballads ever in The Search Is Over.  Again, there is more to the record than the hits.  Check out Broken Promises, Popular Girl and Everlasting.  A record I enjoy more now than I did at the time...and I love it now.  Hey, us metalheads need to clear the palate, right?

5. Styx - Pieces Of Eight (1978)

Maybe not a true AOR album, but after mentioning Journey and Foreigner, I have to say Styx because they are one of the best bands from the US ever, and this album features elements of AOR, Prog and Hard Rock.  Maybe Cornerstone would be a better choice for AOR, but I like Pieces Of Eight better.  Not a dud on this album, and features all the rocking pomp you would expect from Styx.  My fave Styx song Blue Collar Man is here, along with rockers Great White Hope, Queen Of Spades and Renegade. In this day and age, the younger people don't realize how incredible some of this music was (is).  At the time this baby went triple platinum and was a precursor for alot of the melodic rock and metal that dominated the 80's.  A great spin and an example of everything right with rock and roll. STYX!

That list was pretty easy to compile, but there are a hundred more I could add.  Although Hard Rock is my main deal, the above bands and albums have always been a big part of my life.  Next up this weekend is my Top 5 AOR you probably have not heard or remember! See ya next time for another blast from the past!

No comments:

Post a Comment