Sunday 20 May 2012

My All Time Fave Albums Pt. 19

For me, the years 1980-1985 yielded so much fantastic music, and was literally the soundtrack to my life (and still continues to be lol).  For those checking out my blog it's pretty obvious I lean to this era of music.  This record is no different.  From the golden age of hard rock, another true classic, and not to be forgotten. From the year 1984, Dokken's sophmore release, Tooth And Nail.

What grabbed me initially about Dokken was hearing their first single, Breaking The Chains, on a compilation.  I'm pretty sure it was an album review for this in the back pages of Circus, along with that single that made me want to check them out.  I would definitely list Dokken amongst my fave bands, and the stretch they had through the 80's was as good (or better) than any of the acts of the day.  They did have some success, but not to the level of say, Ratt or Motley Crue, but I will put those records up against anything from that time period.  Dokken was the perfect blend of heavy and melodic.  Although Don Dokken was the voice, the secret weapons in this band were guitarist George Lynch, and bassist/vocalist Jeff Pilson. "Wild" Mick Brown would be listed as one of my drum influences as well.

This record just flat out rocks, with brilliant songwriting ,vocals, and possibly one of Lynch's best performances on vinyl (check out the solo in Into The Fire).  It has great metallic tunes in the title track and When Heaven Comes Down.  It has great commercial appeal in tunes like Just Got Lucky and uber ballad, Alone Again. It does not have a bad song.  This one got alot of play back in the day, and I'm actually spinning it right now.  A reminder of when music was real, and of a band that was on to bigger and better things (before it all came apart).  A great time for music, and I'm glad I was there.  For the old schoolers who follow my blog, dig this one out and play it LOUD.  Hold your lighters aloft and enjoy Alone Again. Dokken!




No comments:

Post a Comment