Thursday 21 July 2011

My All Time Fave Albums Pt. 3

I'm going out on limb a bit with this one, because sometimes the albums that I personally like the best are not necessarily considered their best work. Case in point: Judas Priest's 1981 record, Point Of Entry.

This album, along with the compilation The Best Of Judas Priest, was my introduction to Priest, and the beginning of being a serious JP fan.  POE gets alot of flak for being a little more commercial, a little more geared towards American audiences and not being as heavy as the albums preceding it. And I get that. This is a record that was the follow up to the masterful British Steel.  Not to mention their incredible output from the 70's, with albums like Stained Class, Sad Wings, and Hell Bent for Leather. However, this is a JP album I love, and I'm sharing the love :)

 So I'm a little nostalgic when it comes to Point Of Entry, but IMOHO this record contains 4 of Priest's best tunes:  The cool rocker; Heading Out On They Highway, the rifftastic; Hot Rockin', and two of the coolest tunes ever in Desert Plains and Solar Angels (which opened every show on the 1981 tour).  Similar to how Rush bridged two points in their career with Permanent Waves, this was the bridge between the heavy hard rock of their 70's work, with the full on Metal assault that was to come following this album.

I am a huge fan of JP, and could have picked just about any of their albums as a fave, but this is the one that brings back the memories.  These guys (along with Maiden, Scorpions and AC/DC) were my stepping stone into the world of Heavy Metal, a love affair that continues to this day.  So sit back and enjoy a brilliant track from this album, brought to you by Messrs Halford, Downing, Tipton, Hill and Holland.  I'll be back with more of my faves next time! Cheers!



No comments:

Post a Comment