Wednesday 20 July 2011

My All Time Fave Albums Pt.2

Hello Chicago! Will you please welcome from England...U...F...O...!!  And so it begins, one of the greatest live albums off all time, by one of the most underrated bands in rock history.  UFO's 1979 classic live opus, Strangers In The Night.

I remember getting this 8 track from a friend in Junior High School.  I knew them from the track Only You Can Rock Me ,which I had on some cheesy K-Tel compilation.  I played it to death on an old console stereo.  I'm glad my buddy gave me the 8 Track because they have been one of my fave bands ever since.

A live document that has stood the test of time, SITN is a shining example of live albums should sound, and how a band that is brilliant in the studio can be absolutely on fire in a live setting.  If you are unfamiliar with this record, stop what you are doing and get a copy NOW.

As with all of the records that are most important to me, you never tire of them, and often discover little things every time you spin them.  This record is a showcase for some of UFO's best tracks at the time, and for the guitar wizardry of Michael Schenker.  Schenker left the band apparently during the mixing of this record, so there are no overdubs in regards to his playing.  You can talk about Page, Clapton, Beck all you want, but Michael Schenker's playing is truly moving and one of the reasons UFO are one of the best acts of all time.  Throw in the classic voice of Phil Mogg and the bass boogie of Pete Way, and you have a masterpiece.

The tracklist of this album never lets up, and is just one great tune after another.  From the opening riff of Natural Thing, through Love To Love, to Lights Out, and finishing off with the crowd pleaser, Shoot Shoot, this album will always be special to me and a reminder of how great UFO were (are).

I purchased the remaster of this album a few years back, and they have added some bonus tracks and changed up the tracking order (so that it matched the set that would actually be played at the time).  Sonically it's brilliant, but hunt down the original if you can find it (when they kick off with Natural Thing, it's goosebumps everytime).

For me, UFO did not make a bad record between 1974's Phenomenon and 1983's Making Contact.  They are one of my fave bands, and I'll listen to them until forever.  SITN is a good place to start for those unfamiliar with the bands stuff.  You'll thank me later. Long Live UFO!

No comments:

Post a Comment