Monday 29 August 2011

My All Time Fave Albums Pt. 11

I've been a little lazy with the blog, trying to get some time to write something...I'll do my best to throw up some more classics this week. I will eventually get to some newer stuff, but I am for the most part the blog is about the old stuff, and we all know that is better than anything new ;)

I've been wanting to do this one for awhile, it has always been a fave...Balls To The Wall from Accept.
This was their 5th full length, and along with Restless And Wild (another fave), was their introduction to North America.  Accept for me was a perfect blend of heavy and melodic, great production and great guitar work.  A lot of people think the album title has some sort of sexual connotation, but really it is about being oppressed, essentially a take on having your back to the wall...at least that's what I get out of it!  Mind you, the album art although brilliant, may give some folks the wrong idea.

Back in the day, and even now this album gets a lot of play from me.  I love the twin guitars (the opening riff to Turn Me On still gives goosebumps.)  I love the heaviness and power of the title track. I love the speed and vocals in Fight It Back.  I love the commercial side in a track like Losing More Than You've Ever Had.  This is a perfect metal album. It also has a Euro flavor that only bands like Accept can deliver, as well as lyrics that aren't your standard party anthems.  Wolf Hoffman is one of the most underrated guitarists and songwriters for his time.  So many cool riffs...

I have never had the opportunity to see them live, but they are one of those bands I would go see in a minute.  Accept should be mentioned in the same breath as bands like Priest and Maiden, but they have always been a little under the radar.  The original lineup minus Udo returned last year with Blood Of The Nations, which was a pleasant return to form for these veteran musicians.  Welcome back!

Will be back soon with some more classics! Enjoy the vid for the title track, sure to induce major headbanging.

No comments:

Post a Comment