Saturday 13 August 2011

My All Time Fave Albums Pt. 8

I have always liked different types of Hard Rock and Metal.  I like Slayer, I like Stryper, I like Venom, I like White Lion...it's always been that way for me.  Good music is good music, and if it makes you feel good ,then crank it!  I am a big fan of what has become known in the past 10 years as "Hair Metal".  That term doesn't sit well with me because if you were there at the time it was just called Heavy Metal or Hard Rock.  If you're going to lump all those bands together, then every band that had big hair would be included...and that would be ALL OF THEM. When that term is used I understand what it is being used for...the hard rock acts that came out post '86/'87.  When the the bands started wearing "costumes", had a power ballad on every album, and had a blond lead singer.  I just find the term a little patronizing, and really there was a ton of great stuff that came out from '86 to '92 before the big Grunge wave came along and changed everything.  On a side note, where is Grunge now??? It essentially was to the 90's what disco was to the 70's.  A fad. And both sound dated now.  Anyway, that is a rant for another day (so there is no haters, I do like Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, and AIC, hell, I even like some disco lol)

On that note, and hearing the sad news of Jani Lane passing away, I would like to pay tribute to one of the best albums of that era.  Dirty Rotten Filty Stinking Rich by LA's own Warrant.

This album really captured a moment in hard rock music.  It sounds like 1989.  And that is a good thing.  I bought this right when it came out, and my old copy has a different version of the classic Heaven than the later releases.  This is a classic album for the time, great tunes, great vocals, and great choruses.  Not a stinker on the album.  I listened to this album alot back in the day, and it always brings back a ton of great memories.

Best tunes on the album for me are (and always have been) the opener; 32 Pennies, Down Boys, Big Talk, and the above mentioned Heaven. Actually, I like them all... What set these guys apart from alot of the other bands of the time was that they could write really good songs.  Anything off the first three Warrant records is a great example of how to write a catchy rock tune.  DRFSR did not go on to sell over 3 million copies on their good looks alone.  Jani Lane knew how to write a tune.

I saw Warrant on tour in support of this album, and thought they were great.  Lots of energy and a total party atmosphere (which is greatly lacking from todays acts).  I caught them a couple other times, and they  always put on a great show. 

So there is another one of my fave albums, the memories are grey but they're really comin' back...

Here's vid from '87 before they signed a major record deal.

Rest In Peace, Mr. Lane.  Thank you for the great music.


1 comment: