Monday 2 January 2012

Breezy's Top 15 of 2011! #2

I thought I'd have this done already...ahhh the life of a Dad.  Anyway ,this pick is my biggest suprise this year, from an artist I love.  #2 - Alice Cooper - Welcome 2 My Nightmare.

Anyone who knows me, knows that I am a massive fan of Alice.  His early stuff from Love It To Death through to Flush The Fashion is some of the best rock music ever recorded.  Though his stuff through the 80's is not his best, he had returned to form in the 90's and his past 3 albums have been downright awesome.  Why am I suprised?  It is a sequel, a stab at past glories...sequels dont work (unless it's The Empire Strikes Back ;)) in my opinion.  So he gets Ezrin on board, brings back the original band for three tracks, and we see where Steven is 30 years later.  The result is excellent.  After a few spins I realized this is the Alice I grew up with.  This album is classic Alice in the sense that he covers all the bases, rock, jazz, vaudeville, disco(!), 50's era surf, a great ballad...it's all here. 

 This album has alot of the old Alice Cooper flavour, and studio brilliance from Bob Ezrin.  It is true to the original nightmare, but brings everything up to date.  1st single, I'll Bite You Face Off is a collaboration with the original band and sounds like one of the best tunes the Stones never released.   Something To Remember Me By is beautiful ballad in the theme of Only Women Bleed or You And Me.  Tunes like Disco Bloodbath Boogie Fever (incredible) and Ghouls Gone Wild show Alice has not lost his sense of humour (including a duet with Ke$ha (lol).  The opening track (I Am Made Of You) is reminisent of the classic Hello Horray in style. 

I wasn't pumped about this album, but as the old saying goes, Never judge a book by it's cover.  Alice Cooper has done it again, and shows all the kids how it's done (along with his induction into the Rn'R Hall Of Fame).  If you are or were a fan of Alice, check this out.  If you are a fan of great rock, check this out.  If you are neither, check this out.  Thanks for the great tunes Alice !Here's the vid for the first single!  See you soon!
 Support the bands you like and buy their albums!

No comments:

Post a Comment