Saturday 3 December 2011

Breezy's Top 15 Albums of 2011! #15

There is a music board I have posted on for years that has a Best Of list every December.  I thought it would be fun to post my picks here on the Quarry, and share my picks with all my friends.  I'll have them all up by Christmas Day, and hopefully have some fun doing it.  Don't expect long reviews and in depth thoughts on each record (even thought I love each record), I'll just give a quick synopsis and why I dig them.

My taste in music is actually quite broad, but it's generally gotta rock hard, with passion, and creativity.  I love great vocals, and melodies, and always a taste of old school. ;)  So to start things off: #15...Journey - Eclipse.


Although I'm generally a hard rock and metal guy, I have always been a fan of Journey.  Since around the time of their classic live album, Captured, and their classic Escape, I have listened to their albums and kept up with their career.  2008's Revelation was their true return to form with new vocalist Arnel Pineda. This is the follow up.

The first thing I really noticed about this album is that guitarist Neal Schon is back in a big way.  I'm not sure if he has played as many brilliant leads as he does on this record.  Pineda is proving he is not a Steve Perry clone, and his vocals soar. Overall a great record and I'm already looking forward to the next one. There is really something to be said for the older acts who can release a new record and have it sit proudly beside their classic material.  The last two Journey records do just that.  Standout tracks are City Of Hope, Edge Of The Moment, and Chain Of Love.  For all fans of Journey and AOR...get this album.  Here's a clip of a tune off of EclipseRemember, support the bands you like and buy their albums!

Watch for my list to continue! #14 is coming up.
                                                                                   



No comments:

Post a Comment