Wednesday 14 December 2011

Breezy's Top 15 of 2011! #11

My next pick for the year is a band I have only followed the past couple releases, and the new one is a killer.  #11 - Symphony X - Iconoclast


Symphony X is a progressive metal act from New Jersey.  Although I'm familiar with them over their career, I have not paid much attention until the past couple of albums.  This one is their 8th, and is probably the heaviest one they have ever done.  The guitars are crunchier, the drums are faster, and Russell Allen still proves he is one of the best vocalists on the planet.  This record is technical, heavy and catchy.  Guitarist Michael Romeo plays like his hands are on fire...just awesome.  This album is available in a 2 disc version, and a single disc version.  Most of the tunes hover around the 6 minute mark and really show the bands technical and creative ability.

The album is a nice blend of crushers like Heretic and Dehumanized, as well as catchier tunes like Children Of A Faceless God and The End Of Innocence.
This record took a couple of spins to sink in (like all the best albums do), and I find I'm spinning it quite often.  The boys are on tour this winter through Canada, and will be worth checking out for sure.
I'll sign off with a video clip from this album. Enjoy!


Support the bands you like and buy their albums!

No comments:

Post a Comment